Dental Implant in Fairfield, CT
If you are looking for options to enhance the look of your smile and restore missing teeth, Dr. Lee is are highly qualified in dental implants and are here to help you. Call our dental office at (203) 259-7073 to schedule a consultation.
What are Your Option to Replace Missing Teeth?
Aesthetic Dentistry of Fairfield in Fairfield, CT, offers several options to restore your smile. Replacement of lost teeth is essential to your oral health to maintain the health and position of your existing teeth. Removable and more permanent, fixed options for tooth replacement are available for most patients, including dentures, bridges, and dental implants.
Before any treatment, our dentist will complete an examination and review all of your information to determine what options you qualify for, and if you are a good candidate for dental implants. We will discuss all of your goals and expectations for treatment, any concerns you may have, and can discuss financing and expected costs of treatment so you can make an informed, educated decision regarding your dental health.
Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth, and serve as a strong foundation for both fixed and removable replacement teeth. A dental implant is a screw that is surgically placed in your jawbone, and it is used to hold an artificial implant crown that looks and feels similar to your natural teeth. Dental implants are typically made of titanium and are highly biocompatible. Once dental implants are placed into the bone, your bone heals closely around the implant surface during a process called osseointegration.
Dental implants provide versatility to meet the patient’s needs. Dental implants are the most similar restoration as you can get to your natural tooth. They can restore your smile with long-lasting functionality, whether you have a single missing tooth or an entire row of teeth.
Here are some of the dental implant options we offer in Fairfield:
- Single dental implant
- Multiple dental implants
- Implant-supported bridges
- Implant dentures
- All-on-4 dental implants
What are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
Dental implants have many advantages over other traditional dental treatments, including:
- Most “permanent” restoration for missing teeth— Although no dental treatment is truly “permanent,” dental implants are the closest relative to one’s own tooth when replacing a missing natural tooth.
- Improved comfort and function— Removable dentures rest on gums and soft tissue, leading to discomfort. Implants are typically more comfortable than removable dentures as implants are supported on bone and hard tissue.
- Improved speech— Removable dentures require extra material for strength which often affects speech. Dental implants require significantly less material and are shaped much like a natural tooth, allowing for correct enunciation and pronunciation.
- Durability and stability— Dental implants are highly biocompatible and can last for a lifetime if taken care of correctly. Implant crowns are typically made of porcelain, a superior material when compared to denture resin acrylics.
- Convenience and less maintenance— Dental implants are cleaned similar to natural teeth. No need to worry about forgetting your dentures, or having to have them refitted when they wear down.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Most patients who are healthy enough to undergo a route in dental extraction can be considered for dental implant treatment. Your oral hygiene and gums should be healthy and well maintained before you proceed with dental implant surgery. Your bone will be evaluated with X-rays and a 3D CBCT image to ensure you have enough bone and that the dental implant will not interfere with any vital structures like your sinuses or nerve pathways.
Some medical conditions may preclude you from having an implant placed, which may include:
- Heavy smokers
- Uncontrolled diabetes or heart disease
- Radiation therapy to the head and neck
- Osteoporosis with bisphosphonate therapy
Our dentist will evaluate you and review your complete medical history to make sure that you are a good candidate for implant surgery.
What is the Process for Dental Implant?
The first step is a thorough examination and treatment plan by Dr. Lee to ensure that you are a good candidate for implant placement. It is vitally important to have a comprehensive treatment plan before starting the implant process as dental implants should be placed into the bone in the correct angulation and position.
Once a treatment plan is completed, Dr. Lee will anesthetize you using local anesthetic to make the surgical procedure painless. Other sedation options, including nitrous oxide or laughing gas, are available if you are anxious and will help you relax. Once completely numb, the doctor will make a small incision in your gums. The bone is prepared with microscopic, specialized tools, and clean titanium drills are used to create a post space where the implant will fit. Once the bone is prepared adequately, the titanium dental implant is gently rotated into place and covered with a healing cover screw. The gums are closed with small sutures, which might dissolve on their own, or will be removed in our office in approximately 2 weeks.
The implant must heal for several months before the implant crown is made. Once the implant is healed in the bone, we take an impression of the implant— this process is much faster than the surgical visi, and may require no needles or local anesthesia, as a dental implant has no nerve structures to feel pain. Our master dental lab technician will expertly hand-craft your implant crown using all original parts. Once fabricated, your implant crown is screwed and secured into your implant crown, and is ready for you to smile with and chew on.
What Can Happen if You Don’t Replace a Missing Tooth?
The consequences of tooth loss can be serious and difficult to undo. If a missing tooth is not replaced in a timely manner, the bone will resorb and gum recession can follow. If too much bone is lost, you may need additional procedures before dental implant placement, such as bone grafting, or you may be disqualified from being a candidate for implants entirely.
Restoring your smile with implants can offer many benefits, including:
- Bringing back your self-confidence
- Avoiding gum recession and bone loss
- Providing functionality for chewing and biting
- With proper care, your restorations can give you a smile you will love for a lifetime!
Find Out Which Solution is Best for You!
Our highly qualified dental team is committed to providing the quality dental care you deserve. We take our time to understand your concerns and needs and create a treatment plan to address your missing teeth that will work best for you.
For more information on dental implants or to schedule a consultation with the best dentist in Fairfield, CT, contact our office at (203) 259-7073 today.